FTC warns 12 major tech firms of violating Take It Down Act
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) on Wednesday said it has sent letters to a dozen major tech firm 2026-5-20 17:51:18 Author: therecord.media(查看原文) 阅读量:4 收藏

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) on Wednesday said it has sent letters to a dozen major tech firms warning them that they are not in compliance with a law that sets standards for removing nonconsensual intimate images.

The 12 firms are violating the Take It Down Act (TIDA), which began being enforced Tuesday, by not offering a process for victims to request image removal, the agency said. The law mandates that platforms make it easy for people to ask that nonconsensual intimate images be removed and to delete them within 48 hours of a request.

The letters, sent last week, urge the companies to “immediately come into compliance” with the law, warning that failure to comply could lead to fines of up to $53,088 per violation.

TIDA was enacted in May 2025 and gave industry a year to design compliance strategies.

Platforms covered under the law include websites, apps and online services that allow user-generated content or regularly publish or host intimate images shared without consent, according to an agency press release.

Agency chairman Andrew Ferguson sent the letters to Alphabet, Amazon, Apple, Automattic, Bumble, Discord, Match Group, Meta, Microsoft, Pinterest, Reddit, SmugMug, Snapchat, TikTok and X last week.

“We stand ready to monitor compliance, investigate violations, and enforce the Take It Down Act,” Chairman Ferguson said in a statement. “Protecting the vulnerable — especially children — from this harmful abuse is a top priority for this agency and this administration.”

The letters advised companies to begin using hashing or other technologies to ensure duplicates of the harmful content are all removed at once. 

The FTC also said that tech firms should share their hashes with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children when images depict minors and to a different nonprofit, StopNCII.org, for images of adults. Sharing between platforms can limit the circulation of the images, the letters said.

The targeted companies should also consider putting a “clear and conspicuous notice about TIDA on your home page and wherever intimate content might appear,” the letters said. They should make the request process simple by allowing users to ask for removal directly from the photo or video featuring the harmful content, according to the letters. 

Platforms also must allow victims to easily monitor whether images have been removed by providing an “identifying number” for each request, the letters said.

Enforcement of the Take It Down Act comes six months after xAI’s Grok chatbot began posting millions of nudified images of individuals, including children, leading to a worldwide backlash and proposals for new regulation.

Get more insights with the

Recorded Future

Intelligence Cloud.

Learn more.

Recorded Future

No previous article

No new articles

Suzanne Smalley

Suzanne Smalley

is a reporter covering digital privacy, surveillance technologies and cybersecurity policy for The Record. She was previously a cybersecurity reporter at CyberScoop. Earlier in her career Suzanne covered the Boston Police Department for the Boston Globe and two presidential campaign cycles for Newsweek. She lives in Washington with her husband and three children.


文章来源: https://therecord.media/ftc-warns-12-firms-of-violating-take-it-down-act
如有侵权请联系:admin#unsafe.sh